Thursday, November 26, 2009

Therapy Dogs in the News

Several people have forwarded me a clip about Baxter the therapy dog. It got me thinking that part of what I'd like to do here is collect stories about therapy dogs in the news. Personal stories have the power to make the abstract personal, the distant close, and the strange familiar. Most people don't encounter a therapy dog in their day-to-day life. I think they should. Keep your eyes (not your paws!) on my blog. I'll be posting stories here as they come to  me. If you'd like, send me an e-mail and suggest some stories of your own!

Here is a clip about Baxter. He was a 19 year old therapy dog who worked in a hospice. This clip reminds me just how uncomplicated and unconditional the love a dog offers up to those around her. We therapy dogs never ask someone to explain themselves, we don't ask you to repeat yourself, and we never ever make you feel small and insignificant. Rather, we listen quietly (or in my case, with lots of kisses) and help you learn to be bigger than you thought you could ever be.

Baxter's story is kind of sad, so if you're not it a good place you might want to hold off and watch it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment